- Course Title
- Kepner & Fourie: Problem Solving & Decision Making
The Kepner and Fourie methodology provides a structured approach for problem solving and decision making. The workshop covers skills and techniques required to effectively solve problems, to prioritize issues, to make effective decisions and to create contingency plans. The workshop is facilitator lead and cases studies are utilized to reinforce key learning concepts. Participants learn how to gather and evaluate relevant information; what questions to ask in determining true root causes and how to create effective solutions.
Participants will learn:
- How to set priorities
- How to analyze a complex and vague problem
- How to find the true cause to technical deviations, recurring and start-up problems
- How to create and/or develop a solution, based on predetermined requirements
- How to develop unique solutions for unique company situation
- How to make a choice between given alternatives
- How to uncover blind spots in plan(s) or decision(s)
PriorityWise focuses on appraising a situation fully; identifying core/key issues, setting priorities and determining the most important actions to take.
CauseWise addresses technical anomalies. It answers the questions: “Why did it happen?” “How do we stop it from happening?” “How do we prevent it from happening again?”
SolutionWise answers the key question “What now?” and focuses on a common method for developing solutions and making choices
Risk Wise answers the key question, “What if?” It focuses on a common method for anticipating and mitigating risk.
Method of Instruction
- Small Groups
- Application of the thinking dimensions to a job situation