- Course Title
- CFP - Financial Plan Development Course
This Capstone course is approved by the CFP Board of Standards, Inc. to satisfy the Financial Plan Development Course requirement. It is a comprehensive course where students will be able to apply the knowledge and skills acquired throughout the CFP(r) Certification Education Program toward the preparation, implementation and delivery of a financial plan.
Upon completion, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the content found within the Financial Planning curriculum and effectively apply and integrate this information in the formulation of a financial plan.
- Effectively communicate the financial plan, both orally and in writing, including information based on research, peer, colleague, or simulated client interaction and/or results emanating from synthesis of material.
- Collect all necessary and relevant qualitative and quantitative information required to develop a financial plan.
- Analyze personal financial situation, evaluating clients' objectives, needs, and values to develop an appropriate strategy within the financial plan.
- Demonstrate logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to a specific problem.
- Evaluate the impact of economic, political and regulatory issues with regard to the financial plan.
- Apply the CFP Board Financial Planning Practice Standards to the financial planning process.
- Class 1 (3 hours)
- Introductions and expectations
- Review Fundamentals of Financial Planning and Insurance Planning
- Using the Financial Planning Process to develop and present a financial plan
- Introduction to planning software
- Class 2 (3 hours)
- Review Investment Planning and Tax Planning
- Case: Recently Married - David & Julia Motschall with 2 full plans
- Class 3 (3 hours)
- Review Retirement Planning and Estate Planning
- Case: Young Couple - Wei and Chunping Hsu
- Class 4 (3 hours)
- Case: Mid-Life Career Changes - Eric and Kathy Redding
- Class 5 (3 hours)
- Case: Retirement/College Funding - Aamil and Charise Obeng
- Class 6 (3 hours)
- Case: Widow - Judy Cameron
- Class 7 (3 hours)
- Case: Retiring Executives - Naresh and Vanita Agarwal
- Class 8 (3 hours)
- Case: Terminally Ill - Carlos and Paquita Lopez
- Class 9 (3 hours)
- Case: Harriett Longo
- Class 10 (3 hours)
- Case: Same Sex Couple - Aron Goldin and Eric Schroeder
- Class 11 (3 hours) and Class 12 (3 hours)
- Group Planning
- Define Relationship
- Gather Data
- Class 13 (3 hours) and Class 14 (3 hours)
- Group Presentations
- Class 15 (3 hours)
- Review and Wrap Up: The Process
Completion of CFP Certification Curriculum (CFE 8001, 8002, 8003, 8004, 8005, 8006) or Department Approval.
Method of Instruction
This course is evaluated on a Pass/Fail basis. Students (individually or in a group) will be evaluated on the development and presentation of a financial plan, through an Assessment Rubric.