- Course Title
- Fundamentals of Cheese Making
Our chef instructor will show you how easy it is to make cheese. Each variety of cheese requires unique steps and the techniques are standard to most cheese production. So the next time you have guests to your house, arrange to serve your favorite homemade cheeses. Don’t wait to enroll, let us help you get the cheese ball rolling! As an added bonus, you will take home a Charlotte Cooks recipe booklet
- Learn the process of cheese production
- Create fresh and aged cheeses such as mozzarella, fromage blanc and yogurt cheese
- Before You Make Cheese: How to prepare your kitchen/workspace. The proper use of a bleach solution to clean your food preparation surface.
- Adding Starter and Rennet: How to properly “ripen” the milk and identify the correct firmness of the milk as it sets up. How to determine the correct measurement when adding rennet. Too little rennet and the milk won’t set properly. Too much rennet and the resulting cheese will be rubbery and bitter tasting.
- Cutting The Curds: How to properly cut the cheese curds to avoid losing necessary butterfat.
- Heating The Curds: How to gradually bring the curds up to temperature to avoid the curds trapping too much moisture.
- Milling The Curds: How to properly break up the cheese curds to prepare them for the molding process.
- Molding The Cheese: How to correctly use the cheesecloth as a liner for the cheese mold and how to pack the curds into the mold.
- Pressing The Cheese: How to properly apply pressure to the cheese gradually to avoid losing required butterfat.
- Air Drying: How to correctly develop the rind for your new cheese. No, you can’t eat it yet…be patient!
- Waxing The Cheese: How to properly wax your cheese for the remainder of the aging process. Includes special tips on cooling the cheese prior to waxing.
- Aging The Cheese: It is recommended to allow the cheese to age or ripen for at least 50 days, especially if you are using raw milk for your cheese. We teach you how to age your cheese properly using your existing refrigerator.
Method of Instruction