- Course Title
- The Analysis and Valuation of Stocks
The Analysis and Valuation of Stocks is a comprehensive course designed to provide you with conventional and advanced techniques in researching and valuing stocks. Starting off with the basics, you will learn how to read financial statements and calculate financial ratios, and then move on to perform industrial comparisons, value stocks, and conduct economic and industrial research.
This course is taught in a manner that uses everyday language, simple, yet insightful analogies, and a just the facts attitude that you will understand and appreciate. By the end of this course, you will have a strong foundation in the analysis and valuation of stocks. Offered in partnership with ed2go.
- Obtain a firm understanding of what the class will cover, the goals and objectives of the class, and what your capabilities will be after finishing the class.
- Become familiar with annual and quarterly reports.
- Understand how to read the income statement and balance sheet.
- Understand how to read the cash flow statement, statement of equity, and percentage of statements.
- Learn how to calculate ratios and understand what they tell you about a company.
- Learn how to calculate more ratios, including the cash cycle, labor efficiency ratios, liquidity ratios, and value ratios, and understand what they tell you about a company and its stock price.
- Review some case studies to see how to practically apply ratio analysis to a company and understand industrial comparisons.
- Learn what fundamentally drives the value of a stock, what you can expect to get out of a stock, and how hype can cause stocks to become overvalued.
- Explore various valuation techniques that will allow you to derive estimated stock prices.
- Become familiar with the outside environment and how it can influence the price of a stock.
- Learn about the various researching resources, such as publications and Internet sources, so you can conduct stock research and analysis.
- Understand various real-world lessons that are relevant to investing and will provide insight as you analyze and evaluate stocks.
Wednesday - Lesson 01
Introduction and Welcome
Friday - Lesson 02
Introduction to Annual and Quarterly Reports
Wednesday - Lesson 03
Financial Statements—Part I
Friday - Lesson 04
Financial Statements—Part II
Wednesday - Lesson 05
Financial Ratios—Part I
Friday - Lesson 06
Financial Ratios—Part II
Wednesday - Lesson 07
Case Studies and Industrial Comparisons
Friday - Lesson 08
The Value of a Stock
Wednesday - Lesson 09
Friday - Lesson 10
Economics and the Outside Environment
Wednesday - Lesson 11
Friday - Lesson 12
Method of Instruction