- Course Title
- Achieving Top Search Engine Positions
The vast majority of Web traffic comes from search engines. That means the most important thing you can do to increase your website's traffic is to improve its search engine ranking. To do that, you have to understand both the art and science of search engine optimization (SEO).
In this course, you'll gain the knowledge you need to boost your website's visibility. By the end of the course, you'll have mastered proven, step-by-step SEO strategies that you can implement right away. Offered in partnership with ed2go.
- Understand the history of search engines and directories and the differences between the two.
- Understand how Web surfers use search engines and how search engines provide results.
- Learn the formula for keyword success! Create a site-wide list of potential keywords and key phrases that you'll use to optimize your website.
- Calculate KEI values for your potential keywords, and determine which of them to optimize for.
- Learn to properly include keywords within the head and body portions of your HTML documents.
- Understand what makes content high-quality and how you can find it or create it for free; learn where and how often to include your primary keyword within the body of your Web page.
- Use domain names, file names, and landing pages to benefit your search engine positions.
- Learn about deceptive spamming techniques, and find out why you need to avoid them.
- Learn how to properly submit your website to search engines.
- Complete a post-submission analysis.
- Discover how to promote your site online through links, newsgroups, banner ads, and email signatures.
- Find out how to effectively promote your site offline and how to monitor the success of your promotions. Also, discover how to "bait" others into linking to your website.
Wednesday - Lesson 01
SESR, SERP, PPC . . . do you know these terms? In Lesson 1, you'll learn important search engine terminology. We'll discuss the history of search engines and directories, and you'll learn about the differences between the two. Finally, you'll find out about current major players in the search industry.
Friday - Lesson 02
How do search engines decide which websites to include in search listings? In Lesson 2, you'll learn how search engines analyze websites and create results pages. We'll discuss savvy and not-so-savvy search methods, and you'll learn about common search mistakes that can benefit you.
Wednesday - Lesson 03
You want your website to appear at the top of the SERPs . . . but which keywords will people search for to find your site? In Lesson 3, we'll discuss ways to find potential keywords. You'll begin your research with offline methods, and then you'll use online methods to expand your list. And you'll learn how misspellings can actually help you!
Friday - Lesson 04
You've created a site-wide list of potential keywords, but which ones should you optimize for? In Lesson 4, you'll learn about the all-important pre submission analysis. You'll determine how often Web surfers have searched for certain keywords, and you'll figure out how many other websites are optimized for each of those words. Then, using one simple formula, you'll be able to optimize your site the way the pros do.
Wednesday - Lesson 05
It's time to optimize your site! In Lesson 5, you'll learn about HTML tags that you must be intimately familiar with. We'll discuss why page titles and meta tags are important and how you can properly place and construct them. You'll also learn to include keywords in your header, paragraph text, and alt text.
Friday - Lesson 06
We've talked about attracting people to your site, but how do you keep them interested? In Lesson 6, you'll learn the secrets of creating quality content . . . legally and for free. Also, you'll find out where to place a primary keyword within a Web page, and you'll use keyword density analyzers to determine how often your primary keyword should appear.
Wednesday - Lesson 07
Domain names and file names play a big part in successful search engine optimization. In Lesson 7, you'll learn how to register domain names that lend themselves to top search engine positions. Similarly, we'll discuss file names and how they can help you. Finally, you'll learn how to responsibly create optimized landing pages.
Friday - Lesson 08
People often use deceptive techniques to get search engines to list their sites. In this lesson, we'll examine many of these techniques and discuss why you shouldn't use them. You'll learn about keyword overuse, invisible text, and improper comment tag use. We'll also discuss spamway pages and Web page cloaking scripts—both of which are bad ideas.
Wednesday - Lesson 09
You've optimized your Web pages for top search engine placement, so now it's time to let the crawlers know that they exist. In this lesson, you'll learn how to submit your website to search engines! We'll discuss manually submitting your site to individual engines. We'll also explore multiple submission services, and you'll learn to create and submit XML site maps.
Friday - Lesson 10
It's time to track your progress by completing a post-submission analysis. In Lesson 10, you'll examine the six steps of the SEO cycle. We'll discuss how to find your search engine rankings, and you'll delve into Web server log files and referrer logs. I'll also introduce you to Google Analytics, which can give you vital data—for free—about visitors to your site.
Wednesday - Lesson 11
What's your site's PageRank number? And what's the most important external factor in search engine rankings? We'll explore these questions in Lesson 11 as we discuss promoting your site. You'll learn how quality inbound links can help you. And we'll talk about lots of other ways to promote your site, including noncompeting links, newsgroups, bulletin boards, link exchange programs, banner ads, and email signatures.
Friday - Lesson 12
Believe it or not, promoting your website offline can make a huge difference in your search engine rankings. In this lesson, you'll learn the importance of affiliate programs and word-of-mouth visits. We'll discuss ways of monitoring your offline promotions, plus we'll talk about "link baiting" techniques that are ethical and that work.
Method of Instruction