- Course Title
- Achieving Top Search Engine Positions
The most important thing you can do to increase your website's traffic is to improve its search engine ranking. To do that, you have to understand both the art and science of search engine optimization (SEO). Master proven, step-by-step SEO strategies that you can implement to boost your website's visibility right away.
- Understand the history of search engines and directories and the differences between the two.
- Understand how Web surfers use search engines and how search engines provide results.
- Learn the formula for keyword success! Create a site-wide list of potential keywords and key phrases that you'll use to optimize your website.
- Calculate KEI values for your potential keywords, and determine which of them to optimize for.
- Learn to properly include keywords within the head and body portions of your HTML documents.
- Understand what makes content high-quality and how you can find it or create it for free; learn where and how often to include your primary keyword within the body of your Web page.
- Use domain names, file names, and landing pages to benefit your search engine positions.
- Learn about deceptive spamming techniques, and find out why you need to avoid them.
- Learn how to properly submit your website to search engines.
- Complete a post-submission analysis.
- Discover how to promote your site online through links, newsgroups, banner ads, and email signatures.
- Find out how to effectively promote your site offline and how to monitor the success of your promotions. Also, discover how to "bait" others into linking to your website.
Wednesday - Lesson 01
SESR, SERP, PPC . . . do you know these terms? In Lesson 1, you'll learn important search engine terminology. We'll discuss the history of search engines and directories, and you'll learn about the differences between the two. Finally, you'll find out about current major players in the search industry.
Friday - Lesson 02
How do search engines decide which websites to include in search listings? In Lesson 2, you'll learn how search engines analyze websites and create results pages. You'll also learn how to search for sites that have linked to your website, and we'll discuss some super-savvy search secrets!
Wednesday - Lesson 03
You want your website to appear at the top of the SERPs . . . but which keywords will people search for to find your site? In Lesson 3, we'll discuss ways to find potential keywords. You'll begin your research with offline methods, and then you'll use online methods to expand your list. And you'll learn how misspellings can actually help you!
Friday - Lesson 04
You've created a site-wide list of potential keywords, but which ones should you optimize for? In Lesson 4, you'll learn about the all-important presubmission analysis. You'll determine how often people have searched for certain keywords, and you'll figure out how many other websites are optimized for each of those words. Then, using one simple formula, you'll be able to optimize your site the way the pros do.
Wednesday - Lesson 05
It's time to optimize your site! In Lesson 5, you'll learn about HTML tags that you must be intimately familiar with. We'll discuss why page titles and meta tags are important and how you can properly place and construct them. You'll also learn to include keywords in your header, paragraph text, and alt text.
Friday - Lesson 06
We've talked about attracting people to your site, but how do you keep them interested? In Lesson 6, you'll learn the secrets of creating quality content . . . legally and for free. Also, you'll find out where to place a primary keyword within a Web page, and you'll use keyword density analyzers to determine how often your primary keyword should appear.
Wednesday - Lesson 07
Filenames and the technical details of how your website is hosted play a big part in successful search engine optimization. In Lesson 7, you'll learn how to register domain names that lend themselves to top search engine positions. Similarly, we'll discuss filenames and how they can help you. You'll discover the importance of mobile optimization and page speeds. Finally, you'll learn how to responsibly create optimized landing pages.
Friday - Lesson 08
People often use deceptive techniques to get search engines to list their sites. In this lesson, we'll examine many of these techniques and discuss why you shouldn't use them. You'll learn about keyword overuse, invisible text, and improper comment tag use. We'll also discuss Web page cloaking.
Wednesday - Lesson 09
You've optimized your Web pages for top search engine placement, so now it's time to let the crawlers know that they exist. In this lesson, you'll learn how to submit your website to search engines! We'll discuss manually submitting your site to individual engines. We'll also explore multiple submission services, and you'll learn to create and submit XML sitemaps.
Friday - Lesson 10
It's time to track your progress by completing a post-submission analysis. In Lesson 10, you'll examine the six steps of the SEO cycle. We'll discuss how to find your search engine rankings, and you'll delve into Web server log files and referrer logs. We'll also introduce you to Google Analytics, which can give you vital data—for free—about visitors to your site.
Wednesday - Lesson 11
In Lesson 11, we discuss powerful online promotion techniques. You'll learn how quality inbound links can help you. And we'll talk about lots of other ways to promote your site, including newsgroups, question-and-answer sites, email signatures, online advertising, and social media.
Friday - Lesson 12
Believe it or not, promoting your website offline can make a huge difference in your search engine rankings. In this lesson, you'll learn the importance of affiliate programs and word-of-mouth visits. We'll discuss ways of monitoring your offline promotions, plus we'll talk about "link baiting" techniques that are ethical and that work.
Method of Instruction