- Course Title
- Intermediate WordPress Websites
Use an online administrative area that makes creating and updating content simple. Online visitors will be able to comment on your articles, fill out forms and applications, buy your products, and even make appointments. Use simple HTML and CSS to customize a website's appearance, and explore plugins and turn a site into an ecommerce powerhouse. Some blog or website publishing experience and good computer skills are recommended. WordPress also requires a paid hosting account, but the class includes 90-days of completely free hosting with SiteGround.
- Choose a domain name, find a host, and install the software on a hosting company server.
- Create a subdomain for your website, become familiar with the WordPress.org administration area, learn basic file management, and organize your content effectively.
- Install WordPress.org themes and use them to control your website's look and feel.
- Add content as pages and posts, and build a custom menu.
- Upload photos and artwork, embed videos from other sites, and manage media files within your WordPress.org pages.
- Find, select, and install plug-ins.
- Use HTML and CSS to customize your website
- Use the Firebug Web development application, continue updating your website's look and feel, and discover how to add information and features to your sidebars.
- Collect money online and set up a shopping cart.
- Set up a home page slide show, get your website ready for launch, and use social networking tools to market your website.
- Optimize your WordPress.org site for search engines, and discover the best ways to collect and analyze visitor data.
- Optimize your site for mobile browsers, and learn how to make your WordPress pages load faster.
In this first lesson, you'll find out why WordPress is the world's most popular Web publishing platform and how it helps non-technical people create good-looking, dynamic websites. We'll discuss what it takes to set up a self-hosted WordPress site, and you'll learn how to choose a domain name, find a hosting company, and access your piece of the World Wide Web!
It's time to get your website set up! Today, you'll learn how to manage website files, and we'll tour the WordPress administrative area and configure some basic settings. I'll also show you how to organize your site so that your visitors will get the most out of it.
A WordPress theme gives your website a professionally designed look and installs with a single mouse click. In this lesson, you'll learn how themes work, where to find them, and how to install them. We'll compare free themes with those you have to pay for, and we'll also talk about the theme we're using for our class website project.
Today's lesson is all about organizing written content! We'll discuss how to enter and organize the information your visitors are looking for, and how to create pages and posts. You'll also find out how to put together a custom menu to guide your guests around the site. You want to arrange your articles so that they're easy to find, and that's just what we're going to discuss today.
Now you're ready to start adding to your website—the details that will give it that extra-special touch! In today's lesson, you'll learn how to add photos, videos, maps, and documents to your Web pages without leaving the WordPress application. And we'll also discuss how to manage these files and create an image gallery to display your photographs.
In this lesson, you'll learn how to use plugins, the features that you can add to WordPress with a single mouse click. I'll show you where to find thousands of these free mini-programs and how to use them.
You likely know a bit about HTML and CSS, but today we'll cover HTML and CSS coding in more detail. Don't worry if this is foreign to you. I'll introduce you to the basics of each language, and you'll quickly discover how to change font styles, sizes, and colors; create lists; and work with margins. With this knowledge, you can customize your website, so it'll look just how you want it to look!
As we continue exploring how to customize WordPress websites in this lesson, you'll discover an application that will spare you countless hours of drudgery. You'll also find out more ways to change the way your site looks, and you'll learn how to create a custom WordPress theme without learning the basic scripting language. Then you'll learn how to set up widgets, which fill your sidebars with information and features.
So how can you use your WordPress website to make money? That's what this lesson is all about. You'll learn ways to create pay-per-click, advertising, and affiliate marketing programs. And we'll also discuss PayPal and credit card processing and set up a shopping cart.
Today, we'll focus on the details that'll make your website stand out. You'll find out how to create a consistent style and set up an eye-catching slide show on your home page. We'll also discuss how to market your site using social networking plugins designed for WordPress.
Search engines love WordPress websites! In this lesson, we'll talk about how to get higher search page results, and we'll explore ways to collect and analyze data to ensure we're attracting and informing our target audience.
In our final lesson, you'll learn to use the WordPress Loop to customize your website. We'll also discuss some time-saving tips and tricks about handling contributors, bolstering security, and making your pages look great in mobile browsers!
Method of Instruction