- Course Title
- Creating WordPress Websites II
Create a website that can do just about anything, without any technical coding! In this course, you'll learn how to build content management websites and blogs with popular web page publisher WordPress.
From selecting a domain name and host to taking advantage of the dynamic add-on features known as plug-ins, you'll explore how to turn your website into an e-commerce powerhouse and improve search engine page results. You'll also learn some HTML and CSS coding to customize your site.
- Get started with WordPress.org by choosing a domain name, finding a host, and installing the software on a hosting company server.
- Create a subdomain for your website, become familiar with the WordPress.org administration area, learn basic file management, and find out how to organize your content effectively.
- Install WordPress.org themes and learn how to use them to control your website's look and feel.
- Find out how to add content as pages and posts, and how to build a custom menu.
- Discover how to upload photos and artwork, embed videos from other sites, and manage your media files within your WordPress.org pages.
- Learn how to add functionality to your WordPress.org site by finding, selecting, and installing plug-ins.
- Find out how to use HTML and CSS to customize your website, and begin making changes to your WordPress theme.
- Learn how to use the Firebug Web development application, continue updating your website's look and feel, and discover how to add information and features to your sidebars.
- Find out how to benefit from pay-per-click and affiliate marketing programs, and learn how to collect money online and set up a shopping cart.
- Discover how to set up a home page slide show, get your website ready for launch, and find out how to use social networking tools to market your WordPress.org website.
- Learn how to optimize your WordPress.org site for search engines, and discover the best ways to collect and analyze visitor data.
- Find out how the WordPress Loop controls content, discover how to optimize your site for mobile browsers, and learn how to make your WordPress pages load faster.
Wednesday - Lesson 01
In this first lesson, you'll find out why WordPress is the world's most popular Web publishing platform and how it helps non-technical people create good-looking, dynamic websites. We'll discuss what it takes to set up a self-hosted WordPress site, and you'll learn how to choose a domain name, find a hosting company, and access your piece of the World Wide Web!
Friday - Lesson 02
It's time to get your website set up! Today, you'll learn how to manage website files, and we'll tour the WordPress administrative area and configure some basic settings. I'll also show you how to organize your site so that your visitors will get the most out of it.
Wednesday - Lesson 03
A WordPress theme gives your website a professionally designed look and installs with a single mouse click. In this lesson, you'll learn how themes work, where to find them, and how to install them. We'll compare free themes with those you have to pay for, and we'll also talk about the theme we're using for our class website project.
Friday - Lesson 04
Today's lesson is all about organizing written content! We'll discuss how to enter and organize the information your visitors are looking for, and how to create pages and posts. You'll also find out how to put together a custom menu to guide your guests around the site. You want to arrange your articles so that they're easy to find, and that's just what we're going to discuss today.
Wednesday - Lesson 05
Now you're ready to start adding to your website—the details that will give it that extra-special touch! In today's lesson, you'll learn how to add photos, videos, maps, and documents to your Web pages without leaving the WordPress application. And we'll also discuss how to manage these files and create an image gallery to display your photographs.
Friday - Lesson 06
In this lesson, you'll learn how to use plugins, the features that you can add to WordPress with a single mouse click. I'll show you where to find thousands of these free mini-programs and how to use them.
Wednesday - Lesson 07
You likely know a bit about HTML and CSS, but today we'll cover HTML and CSS coding in more detail. Don't worry if this is foreign to you. I'll introduce you to the basics of each language, and you'll quickly discover how to change font styles, sizes, and colors; create lists; and work with margins. With this knowledge, you can customize your website, so it'll look just how you want it to look!
Friday - Lesson 08
As we continue exploring how to customize WordPress websites in this lesson, you'll discover an application that will spare you countless hours of drudgery. You'll also find out more ways to change the way your site looks, and you'll learn how to create a custom WordPress theme without learning the basic scripting language. Then you'll learn how to set up widgets, which fill your sidebars with information and features.
Wednesday - Lesson 09
So how can you use your WordPress website to make money? That's what this lesson is all about. You'll learn ways to create pay-per-click, advertising, and affiliate marketing programs. And we'll also discuss PayPal and credit card processing and set up a shopping cart.
Friday - Lesson 10
Today, we'll focus on the details that'll make your website stand out. You'll find out how to create a consistent style and set up an eye-catching slide show on your home page. We'll also discuss how to market your site using social networking plugins designed for WordPress.
Wednesday - Lesson 11
Search engines love WordPress websites! In this lesson, we'll talk about how to get higher search page results, and we'll explore ways to collect and analyze data to ensure we're attracting and informing our target audience.
Friday - Lesson 12
In our final lesson, you'll learn to use the WordPress Loop to customize your website. We'll also discuss some time-saving tips and tricks about handling contributors, bolstering security, and making your pages look great in mobile browsers!
Method of Instruction