- Course Title
- Life Cycle of Materials
Building materials and products need to be evaluated based on the manufacturing process involved, the energy consumption in manufacture and use, and the amount and type of waste generated. This workshop will distill this evaluation by focusing on strategies and credits for waste management, reduction and reuse of materials, recycling, sustainable forestry and environmentally preferable products with low life-cycle impacts will also be discussed.
Students will learn what is entailed in a life cycle analysis of materials and products.
- Learn what is entailed in a life cycle analysis of materials and products
- Explore the importance of choosing responsible materials and waste management
- Learn sustainable strategies for choosing and using environmentally preferable, renewable and regional materials that have decreased life cycle impacts - Review the LEED credits associated with choosing, using and disposal of materials.
- Get introduced to tools that assist project teams in assessment, measurement and implementation
Method of Instruction
Traditional instructor - led format
- Exam: No
- Demonstration of Skills: No
- Class Participation: Yes