- Course Title
- Gardening for Busy Families - Raised Bed Gardening for the Spring and Summer Seasons
Have you always dreamed of a backyard garden, but were concerned you did not have the time or space for one? In order to grow a successful garden in the greater Charlotte area you should begin the preliminary planning of your garden in March. And, did you know the proper planting time for a successful spring/summer garden is April 15? Join us as an organic gardening expert shares his innovative approaches to making backyard gardening easy with insider tips and techniques on site selection, design, proper seed, soil and plant selection, and optimizing your growing space and production via raised bed gardening. Also, receive tips on how best to manage your garden, including: watering, weeding, managing the crops, harvesting, etc. Suggested Supplemental Text: No Green Thumb Required! - Don Rosenberg.
- Gain an understanding of productive, low-maintenance vegetable gardening basics.
- Successfully plan and design a raised bed garden.
- Learn to select the proper seeds and plants for your personal garden and growing needs.
- History of gardening
- Gardening basics – gardening the “easy” way
- Determining the best site – calculating sunlight
- Organic vs. chemical gardening
- What to grow? Selecting crops and varieties to grow in your garden
- Square footage analysis and how much of each crop to grow
- Seed selection
- Seeds vs. transplants
- Tips for transitioning your summer garden into an early fall (needs to be planted by 8/15)
- Hands-on planing, planting and working towards a start up raised bed garden
Method of Instruction
Classroom instruction, question and answer session, PowerPoint presentations and handouts. Outside visit to a community garden to get pointers on your personal, start-up, raised bed graden.
- Exam: No
- Evaluation: Class attendance and participation.