- Course Title
- Motorcycle Basic Rider Course - Dealer Experience
Learn to ride at BMW-Ducati-Triumph Motorcycles of Charlotte. In addition to basic motorcycle safety instruction this course includes tours of the facility, inspection of a variety of motorcycles, demonstration of safety equipment, and a lower student-teacher ratio. Also, you can take advantage of special student discounts. This introductory course consists of class work and riding exercises on motorcycles that are provided during class. Upon satisfactory completion of this course you will receive a waiver for the skills portion of the N.C. DMV license test. Must be at least 16 years old. Please note that if you are under 18, a parental waiver must be signed. The class is physically demanding and mentally fatiguing. If for any reason a student cannot successfully complete this class, he or she will need to re-register at his or her own expense.
- Be able to locate and operate motorcycle controls.
- Be able to select and use protective riding gear.
- Be able to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Perform basic riding skills such as mounting, starting, riding, with correct posture, using friction zone, riding in a straight line, shifting, turning and stopping.
- Understand and apply street strategies for safe riding.
- Practice evasive maneuvers to avoid incidents
- Learn how to operate motorcycle in special riding situations- wet roadways, carrying passengers and/ or loads, and group riding
- Learn the advantages of riding a motorcycle
- Introductin to Motorcycling
- Understanding the challenge of motorcycling and rider responsibilities.
- Understand overall course objective
- Understand course completion requirements and schedule.
- Motorcycle Controls
- Inspecting available motorcycle models at the dealership
- Primary Controls
- Proper use of handlebars, brakes and clutch
- Preparing to Ride
- Preparing yourself to ride.
- Selecting protective riding gear.
- Demonstration of Safety Gear at the dealership
- How to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Basic Riding Skills
- Mounting the motorcycle and starting the engine.
- Using the Friction Zone correctly
- Turning, shifting, braking and riding with correct riding posture.
- Street Strategies
- Lane positioning
- Applying street strategies
- Advanced Turning and Braking
- Turing and maximum braking.
- Stopping in a curve.
- Special Riding Situations
- Roadway conditions/preparing to handle motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Carrying passengers/loads.
- Group riding
- Effects of drugs and alcohol on motorcyclist’s ability to ride safely.
16 years of Age
Must be able to ride a bicycle and balance
Have a positive attitude
Method of Instruction
PowerPoint slides, textbook, lecture, discussion, demonstration
- Exam: YES
- Demonstration of Skills: Knowledge exam, written, Riding Skills Evaluation.
- Class Participation: YES attendance required for all sessions.