- Course Title
- Motorcycle Returning Rider Basic Rider Course - Dealer Experience
Rediscover the thrill of the open road at BMW-Ducati-Triumph Motorcycles of Charlotte. This intermediate course is designed for those who have previous experience with riding motorcycles, but desire a refresher in basic riding skills. In addition to motorcycle safety instruction this course includes tours of the facility, inspection of a variety of motorcycles, demonstration of safety equipment, and a lower student-teacher ratio. Also, you can take advantage of special student discounts. This course consists of class work and riding exercises on motorcycles that are provided to the student. Upon satisfactory completion of this course you will receive a waiver for the skills portion of the N.C. DMV license test. Must be at least 18 years old. If for any reason a student cannot successfully complete this class, they will need to re-register at their own expense.
- Be able to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Perform basic riding skills such as mounting, starting, riding, with proper posture, using friction zone, riding in a straight line, shifting, turning and stopping.
- Understand and apply street strategies for safe riding.
- Practice evasive maneuvers to avoid accidents
- Operate motorcycle safety in special riding situations- wet roadways, carrying passengers and/ or loads, and handling the motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Joy of Motorcycling
- Understanding the challenge of motorcycling and rider responsibilities.
- Understand overall course objective
- Understand course completion requirements and schedule.
- Preparing to Ride
- Preparing your mind to ride.
- Selecting protective riding gear.
- Demonstration of Safety Gear at the dealership
- How to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Basic Riding Skills
- Using the Friction Zone to get motorcycle underway.
- Turning, shifting, braking and riding in a straight line with good riding posture.
- Street Strategies
- SIPSE/Applying street strategies
- Advanced Turning and Braking
- Turing and maximum braking.
- Stopping in a curve.
- Applying evasive maneuvers.
- Special Riding Situations
- Roadway conditions/preparing to handle motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Carrying passengers/loads.
- Effects of drugs and alcohol on motorcyclist’s ability to ride safely.
Riders are expected to have recent riding experience and be familiar with and able to operate basic motorcycle controls. Riders must demonstrate their competency with basic operational skills during screening exercises. These skills include the ability to use the clutch and throttle to get the motorcycle in motion, stopping the motorcycle in a designated area, negotiating normal roadway turns and curves and smooth shifting.
18 years of age
Method of Instruction
Audio visual, videos, textbook, lecture, discussion, demonstration