- Course Title
- Motorcycle: Basic Rider Course
This weekend course is specifically designed for those with no motorcycle riding experience, yet advanced enough to increase knowledge and riding skills of experienced riders. Course consists of class work and riding exercises on motorcycles provided by the college. Upon satisfactory completion of this course you will receive a waiver for the skills portion of the N.C. DMV license test. Must be at least 16 years old. Please note that if you are under 18, a parental waiver must be signed. If for any reason a student cannot successfully complete this class, they will need to re-register at their own expense.
- Be able to locate and operate motorcycle controls.
- Be able to select and use protective riding gear.
- Be able to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Perform basic riding skills such as mounting, starting, riding, with proper posture, using friction zone, riding in a straight line, shifting, turning and stopping.
- Understand and apply street strategies for safe riding.
- Practice evasive maneuvers to avoid accidents
- Operate motorcycle safety in special riding situations- wet roadways, carrying passengers and/ or loads, and handling the motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Joy of Motorcycling
- Understanding the challenge of motorcycling and rider responsibilities.
- Understand overall course objective
- Understand course completion requirements and schedule.
- Motorcycle Controls
- Primary Controls
- Other Control
- Preparing to Ride
- Preparing your mind to ride.
- Selecting protective riding gear.
- How to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Basic Riding Skills
- Mounting the motorcycle and starting the engine.
- Using the Friction Zone to get motorcycle underway.
- Turning, shifting, braking and riding in a straight line with good riding posture.
- Street Strategies
- SIPSE/Applying street strategies
- Advanced Turning and Braking
- Turing and maximum braking.
- Stopping in a curve.
- Applying evasive maneuvers.
- Special Riding Situations
- Roadway conditions/preparing to handle motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Carrying passengers/loads.
- Effects of drugs and alcohol on motorcyclist’s ability to ride safely.
- 16 Years of Age
Method of Instruction
- Audio visual, slides and VCR tapes, textbook, lecture, discussion, demonstration.
- Exam: YES
- Demonstration of Skills: Knowledge exam, written, Riding Skills Evaluation.
- Class Participation: YES attendance required for all sessions.