- Course Title
- Motorcycle Safety: Basic Rider Course
Designed for those with no motorcycle riding experience, yet advanced enough to increase knowledge and riding skills of more experienced riders. Satisfactory completion of course provides a waiver for the skills portion of the N.C. DMV license test. Must be 16 years old.
- Be able to locate and operate motorcycle controls.
- Be able to select and use protective riding gear.
- Be able to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Perform basic riding skills such as mounting, starting, riding, with correct posture, using friction zone, shifting, turning and stopping.
- Understand and apply street strategies for safe riding.
- Practice evasive maneuvers to avoid incidents
- Learn how to operate a motorcycle in special riding situations- wet roadways, carrying passengers and/ or loads, and group riding.
- Learn advantages of riding a motorcycle
Required: A valid email address must be on file to receive eCourse instructions for completion before first day of class. On average, eCourse can be completed in approximately 3 hours.
- Introduction to Motorcycling
- Understanding the challenge of motorcycling and rider responsibilities.
- Understand overall course objective
- Understand course completion requirements and schedule.
- Motorcycle Controls
- Primary Controls
- Proper use of handlebars, brakes and clutch
- Preparing to Ride
- Preparing yourself to ride.
- Selecting protective riding gear.
- How to perform a pre-ride check of the motorcycle.
- Basic Riding Skills
- Mounting the motorcycle and starting the engine.
- Using the Friction Zone correctly
- Turning, shifting, braking and riding with correct riding posture.
- Street Strategies
- Lane positioning
- Applying street strategies
- Advanced Turning and Braking
- Turing and maximum braking.
- Stopping in a curve.
- Special Riding Situations
- Roadway conditions/preparing to handle motorcycle under adverse conditions.
- Carrying passengers/loads.
- Group riding
- Effects of drugs and alcohol on motorcyclist’s ability to ride safely
- 16 Years of age
- Registration for anyone under 18 requires a signed a parental waiver.
- Have a positive attitude
- Must be able to ride a bicycle and balance
Method of Instruction
- PowerPoint slides, textbook, lecture, discussion, demonstration.
- Exam: YES
- Demonstration of Skills: Knowledge exam, written, Riding Skills Evaluation.
- Class Participation: YES attendance required for all sessions.
The class is physically demanding and mentally fatiguing. If for any reason a student cannot successfully complete this class, he or she will need to re-register at his or her own expense.