- Course Title
- Tennis for Beginners
Tennis is an affordable outdoor activity that can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. Students will learn the fundamentals of the game enabling them to enjoy recreational tennis. Tennis rules, etiquette, court play and basic strokes: forehand, backhand, serve, volley, overhead, drop shot and lob.
- Perform elementary skills for forehand, backhand, serve, volley and, time permitting, smash.
- Be introduced to singles and double play, understand elementary strategies and rules.
- Introduce forehand-grip, racket back, contact point, footwork, etc. Forehand tossing drills, introduction to backhand grip.
- Review forehand-grip. Work on backhand, tossing drills. Combine forehand & backhand. Introduction to serve-stance, grip, back swing, serve, practice drills, etc.
- Review backhand. Work on serve. Introduce keeping score, play some singles.
- Introduce doubles procedures-play some doubles.
- Introduce Volley-forehand & backhand-tossing drills with emphasis on position.
- Review of forehand, backhand, and serve. Re-visit singles & doubles play, keeping score.
- Play singles and doubles. Teach how to play a tiebreaker in singles & doubles.
- Review of previous class skills. *time permitting introduce overhand smash, catching drills to full overhead smash.
Method of Instruction
- Learn by doing; class attendance and participation